Six months after announcing she’d been diagnosed with cancer, Catherine, Princess of Wales, revealed another milestone: She’s finished chemotherapy.
Back in March of this year, Princess Catherine announced in a video posted to social media that she had been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January. That video cleared up months of speculation about her whereabouts and ordinary citizens and journalists alike scrutinizing her every move since she’d notably disappeared from the public eye after Christmas 2023. (The Palace releasing a photo of the Princess that turned out to be doctored didn’t help the media frenzy.)
Kate Middleton video: “I have finished chemotherapy”
In a video posted to social media on Monday, Princess Catherine opened up about her cancer journey: “The last nine months have been incredibly tough for us as a family,” she says in a voiceover over shots of her with her family and scenes of nature in Norfolk. She adds, “The cancer journey is complex, scary and unpredictable for everyone, especially those closest to you.”
She also says the experience has given her “a new perspective on everything” and has “reminded William and me to reflect and be grateful for the simple yet important things in life.”
The Princess now says that her focus is “doing what I can to stay cancer free” and added that although she’s finished her course of preventative chemotherapy, “my path to healing and full recovery is long.”
Those hoping to see the Princess in the public eye are in luck, as she said she’s “looking forward to being back at work and undertaking a few more public engagements in the coming months when I can.” Her first public engagement since her diagnosis was in June, when she attended Trooping the Colour, a parade to celebrate King Charles’s birthday. She also attended Wimbledon a few weeks later, where she handed the trophy to winner Carlos Alcaraz.
What kind of cancer does Kate Middleton have?
When the Princess revealed her diagnosis in March 2024, she did not share which type of cancer she was battling. She did say that in January, she underwent “major abdominal surgery” in London and at the time, her condition was not believed to be cancerous. While the surgery was successful, she explained that “tests after the operation found cancer had been present,” so her medical team advised her to undergo “a course of preventive chemotherapy.”
In a June Instagram post, she opened up about how her treatment was going: “As anyone going through chemotherapy will know, there are good days and bad days. On those bad days you feel weak, tired and you have to give in to your body resting. But on the good days, when you feel stronger, you want to make the most of feeling well.”
In her latest message to the public, the Princess thanked her supporters for the kindness, empathy, and compassion they’ve shown and ended with a message to anyone currently battling the disease: “To all those who are continuing their own cancer journey — I remain with you, side by side, hand in hand. Out of darkness, can come light so let that light shine bright.”