Effective Date: October 12, 2023
Katie Couric Media, LLC (“KCM” or “we”) is committed to respecting the privacy and security of your personal information. This Privacy Notice describes the types of personal information we collect about you through our website, katiecouric.com (the “Site”). We explain here how we may use your information, with whom we may share or sell it, how we retain this information and the choices available to you regarding our use of the personal information. This Privacy Notice also describes the measures we take to safeguard your personal information and how you can contact us for more information about our privacy practices.
This Privacy Notice applies to the Site and any offline data practices of KCM.
By accessing the Site from which this Privacy Notice is referenced, you confirm that you have read, understand, and acknowledge the terms of this Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice is not a contract.
Information We Collect
For the past twelve months we have collected the following personal information from you from the following sources:
Information You Provide to Us
We may obtain personal information about you in various ways, such as when you interact with the Site, complete our surveys, sweepstakes, when participate in our events, submit a request to us, interact with our social media pages, apply for a job or contact us. The types of personal information we may obtain include:
- contact information (such as your name, postal address, zip code, phone number and email address);
- for job applicants or marketing survey information regarding your personal or professional interests and demographic information that you may volunteer to us (such as your address, date of birth, age, gender, disability, marital status, income level, employment history, education and occupation);
- for job applicants, your social security number and other valid governmental identification and required materials;
- photographs, comments and other content you provide to the Site;
- contact information you provide about friends or other people you would like us to contact; and
- other similar personal information we obtain through the features of our Site.
Information We Obtain by Automated Means
Whenever you visit or interact with the Site or click on sponsored links or advertisement, we may use a variety of technologies that passively or automatically collect information about how you access or use the Site, and we may collect information about you or your use of the Site through cookies, tracking pixels, mobile identifiers or other technologies. We use this information to better understand, customize and improve the Site, services and offerings as well as to manage our advertising and marketing initiatives. The types of personal information we may collect include:
- your browser, operating system, online identifiers, device used to access the Site, your device ID, mobile operating system or IP address;
- location information, such as your IP address;
- analytics and log data, such as about what website you came from and where you go when you leave our site; and
- shopping or browsing history, such as what pages you are browsing and how you navigate our website.
Information We Collect from Third Parties
We may receive information from you from other sources, for example, we may receive information from our business partners such as affiliate marketing partners, sponsors, social media sites, data aggregators or providers, and marketing analytic vendors. The types of information we receive from third parties may include:
- online identifiers or unique identifiers;
- how you interacted with our advertisements on our sites and other third party sites;
- inferences about your past purchasing behaviour or shopping history, either specifically or in the aggregate;
- your account name, profile or alias, posts and other related data on a social media site related to us, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linked In as provided by social media sites.
- personal information to supplement what we already know about you, third parties such as data aggregators or publishers who link your name or email address to other information they have collected.
- analytics on a personal information or aggregate basis regarding your purchasing, browsing, and shopping history. We do use Google Analytics and share information with Google to help improve this Site. To learn more about how Google uses this data please www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we obtain about you to:
- communicate with you and provide customer support;
- send you administrative information (such as information regarding the Site, and changes to our terms, conditions and policies);
- send you email digests (such as Wake-Up Call with Katie Couric) and other marketing or promotional materials;
- communicate with you to administer your participation in surveys, events, sweepstakes, contests and other programs;
- to understand your interests, personalize your experience with our Site and make inferences about product and services you may like;
- to provide products and services from and communicate with our third party providers, service providers and business partners;
- provide technical support and customer service;
- perform analytics (such as market and consumer research and trend analysis);
- operate, evaluate, develop, manage and improve our business (including operating, administering, analyzing and improving the Site; developing new products and services; evaluating job applications, managing and evaluating the effectiveness of our communications; and performing accounting, auditing, and other internal functions);
- to make decisions related to your application or employment, such as making decisions about your recruitment, to comply with legal obligations and verify your employment eligibility;
- protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities;
- make changes to our Site, as determined in our discretion;
- for interest-based advertising–we and our third party partners may engage in interest-based advertising using personal information gathered across multiple websites, devices, or other platforms to serve you relevant advertising on our Site or on other sites, services and mobile applications or on other devices you may use; and
- comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards, contractual obligations and our policies.
We also may use the information we collect about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection and obtain your consent as required by applicable law.
How We May Disclose, Share and Sell Your Information
For the past twelve months we have disclosed, shared or sold the following personal information from you from the stated sources:
- We may disclose, share or sell your information as those terms are defined in applicable laws, to our service providers, business partners, third party providers of products and services, social media partners, to entities in our corporate structure or as part of a reorganization or sale, and as follows:
- We may disclose your contact information, information about your interests, demographic information, all information automatically collected, inference and supplemental information with service providers who perform services on our behalf, such as email marketing, employment-related services, administrative of contests or surveys, data hosting and storage services, for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice.
- We also may share your personal contact and information about your interests and all automatically collected information with our corporate sponsors, business partners, third party providers, affiliate marketing partners and joint marketing partners for business and operational purposes described in this Privacy Notice and the Terms.
- We may share your personal information identified in this Privacy Notice, with a parent company, or its subsidiaries and affiliates for internal reasons, primarily for business and operational purposes.
- We may share or transfer your information, including your personal information identified in this Privacy Notice in connection with a merger, sale, acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, bankruptcy or other change of ownership or control by KCM or any affiliated company (in each case, whether in whole or in part).
- We may transfer and disclose information, including your personal information described in this Privacy Notice, to third parties to comply with a legal obligation, when we believe in good faith that the law requires it, at the request of governmental authorities, to verify or enforce our Privacy Notice or other applicable policies, to respond to an emergency or otherwise to protect the rights, property, safety, or security of the Site, third parties, visitors to the Site or the public.
Cookies and Other Online Tracking Tools
You can reject certain cookies through our online cookie management tool, please see the Cookie Settings link on our site. If you block cookies, certain features on our Site may not work. In addition, options you select relating to cookies and other tracking technologies are browser and device specific. You must exercise these choices on each browser and device you use.
How Long We Retain Your Personal Information
We retain your personal information for so long as for there is a need for the purposes we described in this Notice or otherwise required by law. When we no longer have a continuing purpose to use your personal information we delete it, aggregate it or deidentify it.
Your Privacy Choices and Access
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal information we obtain about you. To update your preferences, stop receiving emails, or submit a request, please contact us as specified in the How to Contact Us section of this Privacy Notice. For marketing emails you may opt out of receiving emails or update your preferences through the unsubscribe link.
Notice to California Residents
Do Not Track. Currently the Site is not designed to respond to “Do Not Track” signals sent from your browser. For more information more about “Do Not Track,” please visit www.allaboutdnt.org.
Accessing our Sites Globally – Transfer of Data
The Site is governed by and operated in, and in accordance with the laws of the United States. We make no representation that the Site is governed by or operated in accordance with the laws of any other nation. If you are located in the European Union, Canada or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect may be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using the Site, or providing us with any information, you: (1) acknowledge that the Site is subject to the laws of the United States, (2) consent to the collection, processing, maintenance and transfer of such information in and to the United States and other applicable territories in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as or equivalent to those in the country where you reside and/or are a citizen, and (3) waive any claims that may arise under those laws.
Other Online Services and Third-Party Features
Our Site may provide links to other online services for your convenience and information, which are maintained by third parties. These may include third-party features such as apps, tools, payment services, widgets and plug-ins (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram buttons). These online services and third-party features operate independently from us. The privacy practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, is subject to the privacy statements of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. KCM is not responsible or liable for these third parties’ information practices. Links to third-party sites do not constitute an assumption of liability for or sponsorship, endorsement or approval of these sites or the content contained on these sites.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect personal information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. The safety and security of information also depends on you, please take care in the security of your online practices.
This Site is directed toward a general audience and is not directed to children under 16 years of age. KCM does not knowingly collect or use information from children under 16 obtained through the Site. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 16, without receiving the appropriate parental/guardian consent, we will promptly delete the information from our records and inform that child and/or parent or legal guardian not to use the Site. . If you believe that a child under the age of 16 may have provided us with personal information, please contact us as specified in the How To Contact Us section of this Privacy Notice.
Katiecouric.com is a VIP Publisher of the SHE Media Collective, and as such, places SHE Media’s advertising on the site. SHE Media will collect and use certain data for advertising purposes. To learn more about SHE Media’s data usage, visit https://www.shemedia.com/ad-services-privacy-policy
Updates to Our Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to modify this Privacy Notice at any time, so please review this Privacy Notice frequently for any changes. Changes to this Privacy Notice will be posted on the Site or otherwise noticed to you in accordance with applicable law, and will be effective when posted. If you continue to use the Site, then you have acknowledged that you have read and understood this revised Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice was last updated on the date indicated above. We encourage you to review this page for the latest information about our privacy practices.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You also may write to us at:
Katie Couric Media, LLC
75 Varick Street
New York, NY 10013