A recipe from Dr. Mark Hyman’s latest cookbook
My friend Dr. Mark Hyman’s new cookbook Food: What the Heck Should I Cook? is out! So, he is sharing his recipe for an anti-aging asparagus soup. It’s right up my alley and looks delicious — so I wanted to share. Check it out below!
This soup makes an excellent meal all on its own, thanks to healthy fats from coconut milk, protein from healing collagen powder, and phytonutrients from asparagus, leeks, and garlic. Those benefits also make it a great way to fight the aging process and support a resilient body. It’s creamy and filling with just the right amount of spice from fresh ginger and smoked paprika, though you can use less of these ingredients if you prefer.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
2 bunches asparagus
¼ cup pepitas
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon avocado oil
1 medium white onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons micro-grated peeled fresh ginger
3½ large leeks, chopped
3 tablespoons coconut aminos
4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable broth
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
4 scoops (about ¼ cup) collagen powder (optional, not vegan friendly)
Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut 4 of the asparagus spears into thirds and set aside for garnish. Roughly chop the remaining spears.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the pepitas and continuously stir and shake until the seeds are fragrant and toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons avocado oil in a large pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the ginger, leeks, and coconut aminos, stir well, and cook down for minutes. Add the chopped asparagus, broth, paprika, garlic powder, and salt and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and add the lemon zest and coconut milk.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool for several minutes. Pour into a blender, add the collagen powder (if using), and blend until smooth.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon avocado oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high until shimmering. Add the reserved asparagus spears and lightly sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- To serve, divide the soup among four bowls and place 3 pieces of sautéed asparagus in the center of each bowl. Sprinkle with the toasted pepitas and freshly ground pepper.