Be Informed Parents: Know Where to Turn if Your Child is Abducted

It’s every parent’s worst nightmare: their child goes missing. If you don’t know what government agencies and advocacy groups exist to help you, the hunt to find your child seems even more impossible. It is important for every parent to be familiar with the list of resources below. Know where to turn if your child is ever abducted.


LostNMissing partners with law enforcement and families, to deliver solutions that helps bring awareness to locate missing loved ones. Their services are designed specifically to help bring media and public awareness of missing individuals who have official police reports and case numbers. In conjunction with law enforcement approval, they help organize search and rescue by professional Search and Rescue teams, aid with obtaining billboards in the community to bring awareness and organize special events that help bring the media back to cases that are unsolved. 

State Department

The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs assists in cases of international parental child abduction. They place the highest priority on the welfare of children who have been abducted across an international border. The Bureau’s Office of Children’s Issues is prepared to assist you in your efforts to return your abducted child to his or her country of habitual residence.

Hague Convention

The Hague Convention seeks to protect children from the harmful effects of abduction and retention across international boundaries by providing a procedure to bring about their prompt return.

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children® intakes reports about missing children, including children who have been abducted, wrongfully retained or concealed by a parent or other family member outside of the U.S. NCMEC also provides technical assistance regarding the prevention of international family abductions.

Join the Conversation!